The Bull Ring
“Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.” Psalm 22:12
As I mentioned in the book FivestarMan: The Five Passions of Authentic Manhood, I earned my place on the starting line-up on my freshman football team by proving myself in the “bull-ring” during a practice. You may or may not know this, but you are surrounded by the enemies of authentic manhood. It would be easy to simply give in and exile yourself into their ranks of effeminate, “culturally-relevant” man-boys but you would surrender your manhood doing so.
As C.S. Lewis said, “Enemy-occupied territory – that is what this world is.” It is time we stand up and throw our shoulders back as men. It is time we face the challenge and be the man.
RECOGNIZE AUTHENTIC MAN’S ENEMY
- Manhood will always have an enemy. Living as an authentic man is counter-cultural.
- The enemy of manhood will attempt to redefine God’s original intent for man.
- The enemy of manhood resents authentic man’s desire to increase and be productive.
- The critic mocks the core values of authentic manhood as archaic and antiquated chauvinism.
- The critic will focus on the past more than understand the vision for authentic manhood.
The cultural attack against authentic manhood is so persuasive that we often don’t recognize it. You are in a fight to be a man. Be strong and show yourself a man.
Listen carefully to news reports, carefully read articles, and discern the conversations around you to pick up on subtle destructive tones against authentic manhood. Write down a few examples of anti-manhood sentiment that you’ve heard.