The Secret Place
“Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness.” Luke 4:1
There is a primitive call that resonates deep within the authentic man. The Voice calls us into the wilderness for the experience of isolation. Most men avoid it, they procrastinate answering the call, but once they do answer the summons they tend to experience something very profound. It is the wildness of their heart.
THE LESSONS OF THE SECRET PLACE
- Isolation is intimidating. It can expose your fears, insecurities, and weaknesses.
- Isolation is quiet. You begin to hear your spirit as loud as the sounds of a city in the middle of the day.
- Isolation is revealing. You begin to discern activity that is happening all around you.
- Isolation expands you. The expanse of the wilderness opens you up to new levels of faith.
- Isolation tests your character. When no one can see you, you expose who you really are.
Don’t hide yourself in the crowd of activity. You need to get out in the wilderness and experience the powerful force of isolation. You will discover things about yourself that have been hidden. You will find yourself having open conversation with your Father. You will overcome your fears and find a new sense of security and strength of who you are.
Find a place to get out into the wild. You may go camping or simply take a long hike up a mountain. Walk the banks of a river. Canoe a stream. Get alone.